Pubs in the parish of Lemsford 1914 – 1918By Andy Chapman
.Pubs and their Landlords during the Great War. The pub provided comfort during the darkdays of WW1. Watch our slide show and click on image to enlarge
- Can you Help
- Parish Magazine
Pubs in the parish of Lemsford 1914 – 1918
The Sun Inn - Landlord 1914 : George Halsey
George Halsey acquired the pub in 1901 and stayed there with his sister Sophia Noah and Emily Wallis and her 4 children until 1940 when Arthur Moyes took over. The brewery that owned the pub in 1914 was Pryor Reid an offshoot of the Hatfield brewery
The Long Arm & Short Arm - Landlord 1914: James Smith.
Image shows the smith Family outside the Long arm & Short arm in the early 1920. The pub was referred to as ‘Beer House’ and James Smith was referred to as a ‘ Beer Retailer’. The brewery was McMullens who acquired the property before 1900
The Bull Stanbrough - Landlord 1914 : William Marr
This building was erected in 1822, a pub had stood on this spot since 1724.it was acquired by William Marr in 1901 and he lived there with his wife Katherine and 2 sons. Research suggests the Brewery was Christies of Hoddesdon but not confirmed
Chequers (Crooked Chimney) - Landlord 1914 : Joseph Totman
The brewery that owned the pub in 1914 was Pryor Reid an offshoot of the Hatfield brewery which was demolished in 1920 due to the owner losing a son in the Great war and not wanting to continue ( See Bury Cottages for full story)
Waggoners (Ayot Green) - Landlord 1914: unknownlo
In 1881 it was owned bt J.W.Kent Brewery of St Albans and was leased by Mrs Batchelor in 1904. It later became a Whitbread house. Infamous brothers, the Fox twins would drink in The Waggoners, well remembered as poachers, they looked so alike their best friends could not tell them apart.
Red Lion (Ayot Green) - Landlord 1914 : Henry Haynes
The In was established in 1715 as the Shoulder of Mutton but was renamed The Red Lion in 1746. The great North Road passed in front of the pub and was a turnpike which meant tolls were taken. In 1877 the Tollgates were removed due to the road taken over by the Highways Board, the event was celebrated by the landlord setting up a barrel of beer on Ayot Green and serving free beer.
The Horse & Jockey - Landlord 1914: William Jeakings
The pub stood where No 5 Ayot Green s today the pub was connected to the race course in Brocket Park. William Jeakings was the last Landlord as the pub closed for business shortly after WW1
The Defence of the Realm Act (DORA) of 1914 governed all lives in Britain during World War One.
DORA also intervened in British drinking habits. By the spring of 1915 claims were made that war production was being hampered by drunkenness, leading to pub opening times being reduced and alcohol strength reduced. And in July 1916 DORA Regulation 40b was passed making possession of cocaine or opium, other than by authorised professionals such as doctors, a criminal offence.
• Opening hours in pubs were cut
• Beer was watered down
• Customers in pubs were not allowed to buy a round of drinks
The Open hours lasted up to 2003 and buying a round up to 2014 When Ron’s in the chair.
- Have you information about Lemsford 1914 - 1918
- Have you images Of Lemsford 1914 - 1918
- If Yes to above contact us today
|Parish magazine 1914||Home Front - News from the War - Church News|
|Parish magazine 1915||Home Front - News from the War - Church News|
|Parish magazine 1916||Home Front - News from the War - Church News|
|Parish magazine 1917||Home Front - News from the War - Church News|
|Parish magazine 1918||Home Front - News from the War - Church News|